Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Age of Accountability

What a comfort to know that our loved ones that have died in Christ now live with Him. It is also comforting to know those loved ones who were never able to proclaim Christ are also living with Him. Having this assurance makes living possible.

It would be easy to just say “I believe our children are in the presence of God.” Please stay with me as I present the case for what I call “Childhood Redemption.” As we read the Scripture this water sometimes becomes murky. With passages such as “unless one be born again he cannot enter the kingdom of God,” (John 3:3) and “for all have sinned and come short of the glory of God” (Romans 3:23), it can be discomforting if not heart wrenching. I hope in the next passages, to give an unshakable assurance that all those who have died young or without adequate mental capacity will be found with Christ.

First, I feel we should have a good understanding of the sovereignty of God. He has created us for His good pleasure.

Secondly, this brings into question at what age does a person become responsible for their own sin or by questioning the term “age of accountability?”

The Bible does teach, ever so subtly, that there is an age, which is unknown to man, at which each one does become accountable.

“While the status of infants and those who never reach moral competency is a difficult question, it appears that our Lord did not regard them as under condemnation.” (Erikson, Millard J, Christian Theology pg 654)

Isa 7:15-16
15 By the time this child is old enough to eat curds and honey, he will know enough to choose what is right and reject what is wrong. 16 But before he knows right from wrong, the two kings you fear so much--the kings of Israel and Aram--will both be dead. NLT

Third, the Jews followed a belief of corporate responsibility, meaning everyone would be required to pay the consequences of sin. However, as the Lord dictated who would enter into the Promised Land He made provision for those who had not reached this “age of accountability.”

Deut 1:39
39'Moreover, your little ones who you said would become a prey, and your sons, who this day have no knowledge of good or evil, shall enter there, and I will give it to them and they shall possess it. NASU
Every person must stand accountable for his own actions but at what point do we become responsible for this accountability?

Finally, since the responsibility comes with the knowledge of good and evil as it did in the very beginning then we know by this that the Lord has made provision for eternal life for undelivered babies, infants, young children, people without the capacity to understand and possibly others.

Ex 33:19
I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion. NIV

God said to Moses “I AM”. (Exodus 3:14)

Jesus told the Pharisees that asked about marriage “You do not know the power of God”. (Matt. 22:29)

The Bible does not plainly say what we desire in our hearts to hear but we can have peace in His word and through the Spirit that guides us in and through faith in Jesus Christ.

Eph 2:8-98 God saved you by his special favor when you believed. And you can't take credit for this; it is a gift from God. 9 Salvation is not a reward for the good things we have done,…NLT

Gal 2:20
20 I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me. NKJV

No comments:

Post a Comment